We are currently offering a learning experience for young professionals who are looking to gain hands-on experience as we expand our news aggregation and distribution footprint. The ideal candidate should be full of creative ideas and eager to contribute on a large scale, gaining invaluable insight into the inner workings and aspects of public affairs and media relations.
Position title: Media Relations Intern (Fall 2020)
Reports to: Managing Partner
Internship dates: October 2020 through April 2021 (start dates/schedule flexible)
Hours: 20-30 hours per week
Compensation: Paid, $1,500 monthly and/or academic credit, upon the completion of hours and assignments required by postsecondary institution
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist with the planning, communication and execution of a wide variety of ORS events, including but not limited to weekly meetings, political fundraisers, networking events, and special interest group meetings
- Support the company’s public relations, communications and media relations strategies and create engaging content for social media platforms
- Research policies to monitor industry changes and/or trends that could impact clients and support their legislative and regulatory agendas
- Research and develop media contact lists as necessary
Assist with drafting and distributing weekly reports and newsletters
Skill and Requirements
- Strong project management skills and demonstrated success with multi-tasking & managing multiple priorities simultaneously
- Ability to organize and qualify large amounts of information, with high attention to detail
- Ability to maintain client confidentiality and perform duties with a high degree of professionalism
- Proven track record of strong relationship building
- Strong editing, research, and writing skills
- Ability to work independently or collaboratively with minimal supervision
- Recent or current enrollment in Junior or Senior level courses as a Journalism, Communications, or
- Public Relations major, or in related field of study, at an accredited university or college
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word and Excel required; experience with InDesign and Photoshop, Canva, and email marketing platforms preferred
- Comfortable and adaptable in a fast-paced and high-profile work environment
- Solid understanding of the state’s political landscape and legislative process
- Adherence to detail, deadlines and deliverables
- Ability to generate, share, and follow through on creative ideas and best practices
- Knowledge and experience in event planning and coordination
- Interest in politics and public policy
- Parking and general expenses reimbursed
- Credit hours upon agreement and documentation by sponsoring institution
- A monthly stipend of $1,500
To apply, email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Internship.”
More About Ohio River South
The American South is home to a complex array of policy and political issues. Steeped in history and teeming with potential, the region has long struggled to attract or build organizations with the capacity to drive sustainable progress. For centuries, the mighty Ohio River divided North and South, serving as the natural extension of the Mason-Dixon Line. The spirit of that great tributary – the economic and cultural engine of a forward-looking America – inspires our company today.
Ohio River South (ORS) is a high-stakes firm powering progressive victories in the South. Named for the body of water that was once America’s natural dividing line, our team of talented professionals is committed to leveraging new technologies and tactics for private sector and public policy success.
Headquartered in Atlanta with operations throughout the Southeast region, the Ohio River South team is well-positioned to offer clients a one-stop shop for legislative lobbying, media relations and political placemaking. With 100 years of combined experience at the highest levels of politics and policy, we have helped dozens of clients win tough campaigns, partner with government, and change their communities for the better.
Behind every victory is a talented group of doers and dreamers committed to sparking a new southern renaissance. We have recruited top-flight professionals with the experience, reach, and capacity to address big challenges and opportunities.